CMS Parent University strengthens partnership between home and school
By: Jerri Hagler
Family and Community Services/Parent University
Being a parent is one of the most rewarding and sometimes the most challenging jobs anyone can have. It’s also a job that comes with little or no training or background. That’s why Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) developed Parent University. Parent University is a community collaborative led by CMS to help parents become full partners in their children’s education. Since the program launched in September 2008, more than 35,000 individuals have participated in workshops, activities and events.
CMS partners with community agencies and organizations to offer free courses, family events and activities that will equip families with new or additional skills, knowledge, resources and confidence. Parent University offers families a chance to learn:
- Parenting Awareness
- Helping Your Child Learn in the 21st Century
- Health and Wellness
- Personal Growth and Development
Free, accessible learning
The goal of Parent University is to increase parent involvement in the schools, and empower parents to raise children who are successful in school and in life. Workshops are held in schools, public libraries, YMCAs, houses of worship, businesses, malls and other community locations. The courses are free and open to all parents.
- Parent University offers more than 50 workshops topics to answer the most commonly asked questions for parents with children up to 12th grade.
- Parent University offers the Ready, Set, Read workshop to make the most of read-aloud times with your child and to build reading skills.
- Parent University has courses designed to help you navigate the college application process and find out about all of the resources available.
- Parent University helps with the transition years when your child starts kindergarten, middle school or high school.
- Parent University has a comprehensive workshop on alleviating testing anxiety to help you better understand the state testing program and how you can help your child get ready.
The full catalog of classes is on the CMS website at www.cms.k12.nc.us (click on the parent tab and then click Parent University). Online registration is available. To find out more, contact the Parent University office at 980-343-1719.
How Realtors® can use this information
- Encourage clients to learn more about all of the course offerings by logging on to the CMS website at www.cms.k12.nc.us.
- Request copies of the fall or spring catalog of classes to share with your clients.
- Don’t forget: If you’re a parent or just interested in learning more about one of the 50 great topics, make plans to attend yourself!